Feedback on my WIP pattern? (WIP Wednesday)

As you may or may not have seen from my last post, I am making a unicorn pattern based on the one I made for my friend. I’m not just changing a few rows here and there, it’s more like using it as a base and adding and taking away things, or changing things completely. I think what I have done so far is sufficiently different from the original pattern to be called it’s own.

Bear in mind this is a WIP, and I still have the horn and legs to do. I am changing the tail as it just doesn’t match with the mane at all and it’s a bit too low down to look right. The colours are from yarn in my stash that I just had a lot of, but I’m regretting the black for testing and modifying, it’s so hard to see. :<

I tried doing short-ish legs but they just looked odd with the full sized head and body, so I’m thinking either proportioned legs or longer than usual legs? I’ll be trying these out later today when it’s not 3am, but I was wondering what people thought. He’s about 5 inches tall right now without limbs.

I’ll probably use safety eyes instead of buttons since this won’t be child safe anyway with the mane the way it is, unless I decide I like the aesthetic or if other people like it.

I’m happy with it so far, but I’ll see how I feel after I have some sleep, but right now I’m proud with what I came up with. Nothing I have made so far has followed the original pattern exactly, just as a guide for measurements. The head is a completely different shape as well, more realistic and less cute. I’d prefer it if it was a bit cuter but I’m not sure how to do that without making it silly. Maybe bigger eyes or a wider top head? Figure that out later.


I’m making a jumper (WIP Wednesday)

I got one of Kim Hargreaves books “Heartfelt: The Dark House Collection” for Christmas last year, and I still hadn’t made anything from it. Since my knitting skills have improved since then I thought it was time to try and tackle one.

I decided on “Emily”, since it seemed easy enough but not so easy that I’d get bored, plus I love the shape of it and while the sleeves aren’t what I’d usually go for, I quite like them in this design.

In order to make this a relatively cheap project and not horrendously expensive, I decided to use Hayfield Aran in Lavender instead of the suggested Rowan Kid Classic. It also means it’s washable, and since I have no time or patience to handwash what I own 99% of what I make have acrylic in it anyway.
At first I was afraid I’d get bored of it since there are a lot of rows using only 4.5mm needles, while I imagine that’s pretty standard it still seems pretty small to me. I managed to finish the back panel in about 5 days on and off, and that is the most time consuming piece to make so I’m hoping the rest won’t take too much more time. I plan to knit the sleeves two at a time so not only are they the same length, it should also go a little quicker.
Here is my progress so far:
I was a bit worried it would be too big, but since my gauge is a bit smaller and I made the next size down because my size seemed to big as well, I’m wondering if it might be a bit too small, and with my large chest I might need to do that portion in the medium size. I’ll figure it out when I get to it.